Tuesday, January 31, 2017

25th January - 31st January

This week has really been great getting used to the MTC and starting to appreciate the lifestyle and the spirituality here. So I am becoming more sociable with the missionaries here and really really like them!!! So my building is the south east asian building and the people on my floor are the Thai's Kambodian's, Mongolians and Malay missionaries (that is the language they speak not necessarily the country they will go to). So within a week almost everyone on my floor will leave to the mission field so I will have a bunch of new friends arriving and I will really miss the ones leaving. They were so kind and they helped us out and I love talking about cultural differences in Australia with them!!! 

So I have been learning heaps in the language classes but they are mostly focused on gospel topics, they don't teach all the numbers and then all the members of the family, they just talk at you and write words you might not know on the board. For those of you reading my emails who aren't from the church an investigator is anyone who is interested in the church and wants to learn more and a companion is a missionary who stays with you EVERYWHERE! You must always be within sight and sound of your companions. I have 2 companions so I always have to be with them doing everything with them. We did TRC last night which is held every Monday night and that's where we teach real members of the church (most of whom are from BYU and are returned missionaries/RM's) in Indonesian. So this is week three of the stay and we currently teach 2 people for 20 mins each but in the 5th and 6th week we will teach one person from Indonesia via skype for 40 minutes which is scary but still really exciting. The first TRC person yesterday seemed to be dissapointed by the lack of language skills from my companions and he just frankly looked like he didn't want to be there but we did the best we could. The second person was a native Indonesian girl about 24 years old who was SOOOOO friendly and she really made me excited to go teach the Indonesian people, her lesson went much better. I am freezing cold here and although the snow looks great it is just... SO COLD! So I can't wait to go to Indonesia. 

I went with elder Jhonson, one of the Malay missionaries who plays the piano, violin, viola and sings and we found saviour redeemer of my soul for a piano/voice/violin trio so we will practice, audition and hopefully get to perform together which makes me so excited! I have found a few moments here and there to play piano which has made me really happy especially knowing I can still play interstellar XD. The food here began tasting really nice but it drops in you like a brick and keeps you full for a long time and now it's all starting to taste the same but it still tastes ok... My favourite and only trusted drink at the moment is mixing their sprite (which tastes like soda water) with cranberry juice, my favourite! 

Til next week
Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment